Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day #4: Conferences today were focused on learning about the cross-cultural transition process starting now and continuing throughout the year. Apparently, I won't be adjusted to Kenyan culture until Christmas time or after...wow! That is a lot to digest; especially for someone like me who is a home body and is a big creature of habit. Time to step and think out side the box! The process goes as such: Involvement, leaving, transition, entering, and re-engagement. Right now I am involved in my own culture and what is happening to prepare to leave, when I leave I will be going through a grieving process on several levels, then I will transition into the culture, finally enter the culture, and eventually (after a full calendar year), re-engage in the culture and hopefully feel comfortable with everything. That is just a very short version of what I learned today; kind of dull, but helpful for me as I start experiencing feelings I have never had before that come with having to prepare to leave what I've always known and enter into the unknown. On a lighter note, we got to take a tour of the NICS building tonight and meet all the amazing people involved with this whole organization. I cannot say enough how impressed I am by these people. Please continue to pray though, as the information at PFO seems to be getting heavier to digest with each new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment