Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day #2 in Old Miss 6-22-10 (exactly one month until departure for Kenya)- long day of conferences about different personality traits; learned a lot about ourselves and our soon to be colleagues...interesting stuff! Also heard an interesting African tale about a monkey and a fish...bare with me.
"There once was a monkey who got stranded on an island that became flooded. The only dry spot on the island was on top of a tree. Soo...the monkey spent several days up on the tree until some dry land appeared. As the monkey waited, he saw a fish struggling on the dry land. In order to help the poor fish, the monkey reached down and practically risked his life to save the fish. He picked him up and placed him on top of the tree on a nice dry spot where the very excited fish who was flopping around could remain. Soon enough, the fish calmed down and looked so peaceful that the monkey decided to leave. The monkey walked away feeling so happy about saving the fish." Moral--An ignorant love can do great harm. An informed love can be a tremendous blessing.
I believe the point was to be informed about the students I will be teaching...otherwise, a right motive can do great harm if I don't understand the children I am loving and spending time with. Just a cool theme of the day I thought I'd share!

No comments:

Post a Comment