Sunday, August 1, 2010

Spiders and Mice and Slugs OH My!!!





As you can tell from my title, I'm getting used to the fun little critters that live inside and out here in Nairobi. So far, I had to kill a huge spider dangling from the ceiling of the van we were riding in, threw a slug back out into the yard today who liked to show up on our toilet each morning, and have yet to trap our little mouse (in the house) friend. I walk around on high alert always wondering what creature will show up to surprise me every day. Other than those surprises, I have been enjoying my time here in Kenya very much! Things were quite busy upon arrival last week. We had to learn how to grocery shop (an art here), look for cars to purchase (I will be waiting a while on that one!), and shopping for other things like hangers and organizational stuff. Normally, I would see those items at Target and grab and go...not here! No, those little luxuries are too expensive, so we write a list of what we want and then head over to Toi Market (Toi means overstock) to barter for these silly items. It's quite exhausting! But it's all part of living here i suppose. I would say that is what is the hardest thing for me right now is learning that everything takes twice as long here. If a driver says he will pick you up at 9, he really means, he will pick you up whenever he feels like it which could be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour late...soooooooo frustrating! BUT...I'm learning patience here like I never have before. Something fun I have enjoyed was visiting the giraffe center and elephant orphanage which is only about 25 minutes from where I live. The giraffe's are just such majestic creatures and the elephants were precious. It's nice to see the animals taken care of here because animals are not valued at all in this culture. Otherwise, I am now spending lots of time in my classroom made of cement and figuring out the art of decorating with walls that don't like tape very much. Please be praying for continued patience as I adjust to living here. More fun stories to come!

2 comments:

  1. You seem like you are having quite the adventure so far!! I will pray for your level of patience to continue to grow:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your commentary on life in Kenya! Glad to see that you are having fun and being open to what life holds. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete