Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Top 10 Tidbits from my 4 days in Kenya...so far...

1.) Hair dryers cannot handle the voltage here and will catch on fire sending sparks out into the room and leaving the area smelling like fire for hours here...oops
2.) Coffee mate is a luxury...which equals expensive...which means, if you don't know that, you will spend 20 dollars on 1 1/2 bottles of it...oops...again
3.) Machetes are sold in the gardening section of the Nakumatt (Wal Mart)...like it's no big deal!
4.) Police officers walk around with HUGE machine guns in the malls...and it is NOT comforting
5.) Everything is made of cement
6.) My favorite food...chicken....is also a luxury...which means I can't afford it on a regular basis...which means I might have to be introducing beef into my diet again...sad day...on the flip side...my other favorite food...french fries...are a staple here and are served at every meal...YES!!!
7.) In order to support the economy...I will be forced to get house help to cook and clean, get pedicures and massages to help people live (you don't even want to know how cheap all that is or you will be very jealous)...just doing my civic duty!
8.) People stare at Wazunga's (white people) like we are famous or something...I don't like it
9.) Being on any sort of time schedule is out the door...nobody is going anywhere fast...
10.) Don't even get me started on driving and pot holes....
That's it for now....lots more to come!

4 comments:

  1. #6. I wish I had that problem in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tidbits- thanks for sharing. I spent a year and Italy and although the change wasn't as extreme as Kenya, adjustment always takes time and patience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Dawn Can't wait to hear more about life there. I hope you aren't too lonely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys...I JUST figured out that I had comments and could respond to them...haha...blogger rookie clearly! Nice to hear you understand Candice...so cool you lived in Italy! Not too lonely Alison, but I wouldn't mind a visitor if one were to want to come keep me company here!

    ReplyDelete