Sunday, August 8, 2010

More Tid Bits...

So much has happened and is going on, I think the best way to sum up since my last post without writing a thesis, is through more 'short' tid bits....so...since my run in with little critters in Kenya...

1.) I have run into more critters! We have a mouse living in our house. I have been the lucky one to be greeted by the little rodent TWICE whence I screamed so loud I may have scared the mouse away permanently without needing to use a mouse trap...still...gross!
2.) I have never been more thankful for technology and internet! Skype is my new best friend...
3.) Politics in Kenya are quite a bit more intense than in the states which was scary, but also cool to see prayers answered and peace prevail throughout Kenya as the new constitution was voted for (quite historical here).
4.) Patience will probably be my biggest lesson learned here in that it takes FOREVER to get anything done here and tea time complicates things more than I can voice...ughhhh...finish what you're doing first, THEN drink your tea! I'm just sayin'....logical thinking...not present here
5.) Bartering for cool African items (i.e, jewelry, frames, purses) is soooo much fun and my new favorite hobby here! It brings getting a deal to a whole new level!
6.) Driving is getting less scarier each day...I now know how to get to ONE whole place all by myself...very monumental for me!
7.) If I thought I lived at school before, I was mistaken...NOW I live and breath school....and I'm still not ready for the first day (please pray for wisdom on knowing what and how to do things here...it's just so different than what I am used to).
8.) I met one potential parent of a child in my class who did not want to know what his child would be teaching, but was more interested in the wooden ceilings in my room and the 'positive' energy that the environment exuded....give me a flipping break! Can't wait to teach that child about Jesus!
9.) I am loving it here and scared to death at the same time as I realize each day that I live here...really missing family and friends already...sometimes doing what you feel the Lord calling you to do is just not easy....or fun all the time....how come I forgot that?
10.) I am realizing the more people I meet and the more I learn about Kenya, that NOBODY needs me here...and what I mean by that, is I am humbled to realize that God is so much bigger than I give him credit for...Kenyans are taking care of Kenyans, and I am the privileged one to be here and am excited to see what exactly God brought me here for...cuz like I said, he doesn't need me....but I definitely need Him...

3 comments:

  1. Good post! A few comments:
    5) Can you bring me back a machete?
    6) Congrats...I am proud of you for this one. No way would I want to get behind the wheel
    2) Skype is right up there with Gmail as the best free stuff on the planet
    10) People are taking care of each other? Are you sure? How bad is the poverty over there? People still living like it's 300 years ago? My guess is that the answer is yes, and more than just a handful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks brother! If I can get through customs with a huge knife...sure! Driving really isn't that bad...and yep...they are taking care of each other in the same sense that we take care of our own poverty stricken in America (which isn't that much)...that's what I meant...glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. as long as the knife is in your checked luggage you should be fine. I know cause i bring a bunch home every trip. :)

    Its so cool to see your humility in all this. And although God does not need us, He does want us and i think thats the best part. He desires us so much and it really does give us insight into the depths of His love for us. So delight yourself in the Lord and simply enjoy how amazing our God is. Celebrate that life you have in Him. Psalm 16:11

    ReplyDelete