Saturday, August 14, 2010

First week done!

This week, I finished my first week at West Nairobi. I have to say, things are done quite differently here. I thought my culture shock would be free from school grounds, but that is not the case. Now mind you, I expected to see a diversity of very well-behaved students. What has been the shock has been the way things are run at school. Basics like paper, pencil sharpeners, a file cabinet!, are absent from my life currently. I thought schools were pretty universal in having those things on hand...but no. Like everything else here, the things I expect to be basic or normal are just not so in Kenya. I am constantly having to remind myself to stop saying..."but in the states, things are done this way!" Besides those minor frustrations though, my sweet class of 'mostly' well behaved children was very fun. I have students from all over the world, which makes them asking to use the restroom in several different ways quite humorous. Did you know 'lou' is a word for restroom? I sure didn't..that poor child had to repeat himself several times before I got it. They are all, however, eager and willing to learn, which is SUCH a fun change from the majority of students I have dealt with in the states. I got to pray with them each morning for our day which was such a blessing. We had chapel Friday morning, and will continue to have it on Friday mornings, which personally, is my favorite part of the week. These children come from all different cultures and backgrounds, and so we are all teaching each other something new everyday. Plus, I am in awe not only of their academic ability, but their soccer skills are phenomenal...I mean...wow! So that was my first week. I am still adjusting to the culture each day. Some days I love it and some days I hate it. But despite my feelings, I continue to be reassured this is where I am supposed to be and I look forward to finding out each day what I am going to learn and how God is going to use me in different ways.

3 comments:

  1. Do they call it soccer or football in Kenya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poor child probably almost wet his pants waiting for you to say yes to the bathroom!! haha, coming from a fellow teacher though, maybe he should have gone at recess and then he wouldn't have had to ask! :) Sounds like you are doing amazing. Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They call it football...and yes, he should have used recess for his potty break! :)

    ReplyDelete